Wednesday, November 25, 2009

It Suddenly Dawned On Me: A girl, God, and reality

It just dawned on me the other day.
This is real. This is really going to happen.

Our church was celebrating the Feast of Tabernacles, and there we were: just a couple of girls in a 20-minute Bible study. The sort of Bible studies that you usually take for granted, the ones that you never remember. You answer a couple of questions about Jesus and faith, and then you move on to ice cream and some games. But something happened this time. Something different.

You could call it the Holy Spirit.
Actually. Yeah. It was the Holy Spirit.

I have been a Christian my entire life. I have had serious, real encounters with the Spirit. But this time, God revealed himself to me in a way I never before experienced.
This is really going to happen.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 (New International Version)

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

For the very first time in my life, I had an inkling, a slight glimmer, of what that above promise meant. I had a glimpse of eternal...everything. I suddenly realized that everything I had learned about God... everything I read about in the Bible and sung about... everything, all of it--it was all true. It was going to be true. This eternity stuff was real. This God stuff was more than in my head or in our heads. This is it.

Wow. And what?

Think about how this epiphany changes things. This confrontation with truth is radical. It changes literally everything. I see life through a complete new set of lenses.

But how will it truly change me? How will I live differently? How can I devote every single moment to the Lord?

Listen. This could just be another boring blog, and I don't know why you're compelled to be here in the first place. But to be honest, I have been a Christian since forever, but I never lived it. I'm just a self-obsessed, vain, former actress-turned-aspiring-teacher who, after 25 years of living, wants to actually live.

I am ready for a full life.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a beautiful entry, Rachel! I loved to read it. I am so glad that the Lord was able to reveal Himself to you in such a beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...