Sunday, December 27, 2009

Urbana 2009: Upon Arrival

Location: St. Louis, Missouri
How: By a true, miraculous gift from God given to us through our pastor and his wife

We have yet to officially begin, as orientation is at 5pm tonight, but so far, this trip has been a blessing (of course). The weather held out, as I knew it would, because God has a theme of showing us his power through the weather (and through with-holding bad weather). I did not fear the 12-hour journey here, as it was very obvious to me that God wanted us here.

So, a few thoughts before we begin the conference:

1) Prayer and Listening: My prayer for this week is that I deliberately "shut up" and listen to the Lord. I want to practice prayer of listening. Instead of talking or petitioning, I want to wait upon the Lord. I have thought about this discipline before, and have practiced it here and there during yoga, but I know it is something I need to make an effort towards because it is not in my nature to be still.

2) Recognizing that God's ways are not my ways: Elliott and I have been talking about how we hope this trip will be a revelation to us from God about what he wants us to do with our lives. The reality is that maybe God's purpose for us being here is entirely different. I don't know why exactly God wanted us here, but he made it very clear that we were to come. So we did. The rest is up to our diligence and his revealing. I'm open to anything he wants to tell us.

3) Romans 12: I'm not sure if this is directly related to the conference, but this chapter has been blowing my mind lately. I can barely compose all the thoughts and revelations that are coming from reading and re-reading this chapter, but I would challenge everyone to dive into this chapter a little deeper than they ever have before and see how the Lord can use it in your life. I hope that God makes my thoughts and his thoughts clearer that I might write about it in a useful fashion, and I hope to maybe work through it in my blog, verse by verse. For now, just know it's been on my heart and I hope everyone may be blessed through it as I have this past week.

More later, I'm sure...

3 comments:

  1. I find the prayer of listening next to impossible, so I will pray for both of us that God will teach us to be still! Blessings as you embark on this journey, can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope all goes well while you are there and that listening will be something that will transform your heart and mind. I look forward to hearing what you learn!!! I'm listening to Fleet Foxes right now which makes me think of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the prayer of listening next to impossible, so I will pray for both of us that God will teach us to be still! Blessings as you embark on this journey, can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...