Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Your Ways are Better

Isaiah 55:8-9

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,

neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.

"As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.


God's way is always better than my way, even when I think my way is pretty gosh-darn good.

Take, for instance, the time when I was looking for a new job closer to home. I applied to every small, privately-owned shop and store that graced our South Philly neighborhood. The owner of my favorite coffee shop really wanted to hire me too, but my schedule conflicts made it impossible at the time. I remember that day after the interview, trudging my way into the car, fighting back my tears of frustration and disappointment. "It seemed like such a good option," I thought. Honestly, the way I saw it, this option was the best one.

But no. God closed that door.
And then he opened a door. Very cleverly, I might add.

So there I was, back at the coffee shop; the coffee shop that had rejected me as an employee. I was sitting there with my sister-in-law when an old college acquaintance walked in. I'm always awkward in these moments, wondering what to say or what their reaction will be, but I thought, "No, I'm going to say hi." Turns out my friend was the manager of a Starbucks looking for a shift supervisor. I was hired within two weeks.

Here's what God did: he took my dream and made it better. He touched it with his Spirit and made it... just right. More right than I could ever make it.

God really takes care of us, you know? The thing is, maybe there would be benefits to working for a small mom-and-pop store, but God knew that with the forfeiting of my corporate job, Elliott and I would need health benefits. I never even thought of applying to Starbucks, but it ended up to be the better option. God's ways are better.

I need to remind myself of these moments, because sometimes I really get discouraged. Recently, I've been thinking about the future. I would really like to have kids someday (sooner rather than later), but I know we don't make even nearly enough money at this point. Nor do we have the finances to save enough for a house in the near future. It can get very discouraging, but the reality is that God's ways are better than mine. The way he works in our lives, he's going to do something for us that's so incredibly "him" that there will be no other way than to point the glory directly back to its source.

He's already doing it!
Yay God!


3 comments:

  1. . . .No one ever has enough money to have kids. I still don't but God always provides for them and rob and I. ;) I recommend waiting a couple more years though before having kids. Enjoy being a new married couple for a while and being an new aunt hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for always commenting. :) I look forward to your comments.

    We're waiting until God says, "Go," and he's not saying it yet. But yeah, I know nobody really ever has money for kids so that's definitely an encouragement...but yeah, we are very poor. That's fine though. I like learning to live with less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for always commenting. :) I look forward to your comments.

    We're waiting until God says, "Go," and he's not saying it yet. But yeah, I know nobody really ever has money for kids so that's definitely an encouragement...but yeah, we are very poor. That's fine though. I like learning to live with less.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...