Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Differing Degrees of Complacency


It’s a common story.

Girl seeks God, God meets Girl, Girl decides to follow God.

Girl remains where she is.

The inner thoughts process is something like, Wow, this is so cool that I finally have an understanding of my Creator. I’m forgiven, and I’ve decided to live my life for Christ and in pursuit of the Father. I am so thankful for everything he’s done for me. I’m going to start going to church so I can worship God with people. But you know, I’m not really an outgoing person, so I’m not going to say hi to anyone. Maybe they’ll say hi to me. But I’m not going to stay after the service because I hate small talk. And I’m awkward. I also don’t think I’ll join a Bible study, because there really isn’t anyone my age. But I’ll go to church. At least once a month.

What I’ve noticed is that learning to know the Father takes effort.

Coming unto Him daily takes more than will power—it really needs to be a holistic experience. You have to bring your brain into it. Your love. Your pen and paper.

When you actually meet the Creator and are willing to be malleable before him, it’s exhausting.

It’s really just easier to remain where you are.

There are periods of change, but the times of challenge are few and far between. The gaps are filled with long stretches of plodding along.

Friends, those plodding times are so dangerous because we don’t even notice the destruction. But each day, little bits of holy are chipped away until our mindset does not mirror our Father’s. If we are not on guard for the comforting suffocation of complacency, we will fall prey to its subtle demise.

Let’s not, shall we?

Today, join with me in prayer that God will reveal where we are allowing ourselves to settle into a comfort that is destructive. Ask God for the willingness to be challenged, changed, and renewed.


6 comments:

  1. Amen. I shall join you in prayer then, beautiful birthday girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Those plodding times are so dangerous because we don’t even notice the destruction. But each day, little bits of holy are chipped away until our mindset does not mirror our Father’s."

    Thanks for the reminder that plodding times do not just result in a neutral numbness but a charged state of jeopardy.

    Gotta be on guard! I need to remind myself of that frequently. You'da thought I'd have learned that by now! :) silly sin-sullied humanness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo your prayer.
    Glad to have found your blog today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Suzy! Glad you found me! Thanks for visiting, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Those plodding times are so dangerous because we don’t even notice the destruction. But each day, little bits of holy are chipped away until our mindset does not mirror our Father’s."

    Thanks for the reminder that plodding times do not just result in a neutral numbness but a charged state of jeopardy.

    Gotta be on guard! I need to remind myself of that frequently. You'da thought I'd have learned that by now! :) silly sin-sullied humanness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen. I shall join you in prayer then, beautiful birthday girl.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...