Thursday, May 13, 2010

Jumping into Foolishness

Sunday night begins our new life together.

We will leave behind the comfort of steady incomes and human rationality, and jump into the arms of our Father.

We know where our sustenance will come from, but we do not know how or when He will act.

Suddenly, I am not afraid. The Lord has cast fear from my heart and filled it with the peace that surpasses understanding (see 1 John 4:18 and Philippians 4:7). He has empowered us with the message of the cross—which, as you know, is foolishness to the world. But he takes that which is foolish to shame the proud.

It has indeed been foolish for me to leave a graduate program that was paying me to go there, to abandon my corporate job that more than paid the bills, and now to leave an easy position that provided amazing benefits. But. His ways are not human ways.

So here we go.

“For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written:

"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;

the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."

Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength."

1 Corinthians 1:18-25

5 comments:

  1. Hallelujah, hallelujah--<3 you, sister.

    So excited to watch you two as you continue to walk together towards/with the Lord.

    Also, love to hear about sudden *cessation* of fear! Usually we humans experience the opposite.

    Those verses have always blessed me--among ones that initially startled my heart and mind when first coming to faith. Kierkegaard looooves 'em, too. :)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very very powerful verse. I think that is one that explains a lot about how people seem to think who don't understand anything.

    I truly love and support you two in following God no matter how hard it might be, because you are listening and obeying. That is something people don't want to do, because they want to listen to themselves and their dreams and goals rather than God's goals for them through the talents and gifts he gives.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. also I don't know if you got the message or not, but my modesty ministry kicked off just a little.
    I've been posting entries up if you ever get a chance to read them.
    http://rubyeyedokapi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I missed that you launched the modest ministry! I'll check it out- thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a very very powerful verse. I think that is one that explains a lot about how people seem to think who don't understand anything.

    I truly love and support you two in following God no matter how hard it might be, because you are listening and obeying. That is something people don't want to do, because they want to listen to themselves and their dreams and goals rather than God's goals for them through the talents and gifts he gives.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...