Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Be Not a Slave to Fear

"The mind of sinful man is death,
but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace.
...
For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear,
but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, 'Abba, Father.'"
Romans 8:6, 15

Fear of the possibility that around the corner lies impending destruction absolutely grips my life. As I was experiencing a new sense of slowness while on vacation, I realized that my everyday consciousness is gripped by fear. My most consistent and constant prayer to the Lord is, "Please please please please help me help me help me help me," and that somehow gets me through the day.


I try to still myself--to remember that God literally holds this day within the palm of his hand. I remind myself of the lyrics from a Caedmon's Call song:

This day's been crazy but everything's happened on schedule.
From the rain and the cold to the drink that I spilled on my shirt.
'Cause you knew that you'd save me before I fell dead in the garden.
And you knew this day long before you made me out of dirt.

I long to be transformed through the Spirit to live a life of peace. I long to be wrapped in his breath, to lean not on myself but only on the Lord, to walk in full trust of him.

How do I get to this place?

2 comments:

  1. My mom recently read a Max Lucado book on Fear and it really helped her and inspired her a lot. Maybe you would like it too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welp...I'd venture to say it's continuing to walk, slow/sure, in the way you are currently treading!

    (Cool fact: my computer's dictionary has a separate definition for "perseverance" under the category of Theology. It reads, "continuance in a state of grace leading to a state of glory". I pray that would be cast over you like a net.)

    And just like sleep comes upon a person, I pray that you will suddenly find peace has come upon--and within--you, too!

    Love you.
    Glad to hear your voice!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...