Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Our God in the Details

Sometimes God shows up in my life so personally and so viscerally that I just have to stop and take Him in.

I am astounded by His ways -- that with all that happens in the world, with all the people He is comforting and ministering to and providing miracles for -- that this same God still finds a way to work intimately into my life.

"What is man that you are mindful of him?
The son of man, that you care for him?"
Psalm 8:4

Today, the Lord met me in a seemingly mundane and ordinary way.
It started when I lost my cell phone.

I'm sure you're familiar with the story. You're sure you only put it one of maybe three places, and you already scoured the areas a mere seventy times. This was my morning. I wasn't unsettled about it--with God's teaching on prayer, I was steady and controlled, praying my way through it. And I knew it would eventually turn up. I lose many things, I pray, and they always pop up. It's been going on since I was a little kid. Some people might say that these prayers are silly prayers, but it's sort of this delightful, childlike connection I have with the Lord. I love it, because I always know He'll have the "item lost" show up.

It's also worthwhile to point out that this morning, I didn't set aside time to spend with God. I kept pushing it aside, waiting, saying I would "do it later," and kept plodding along with my day.

Funny that a cell phone brought me into communion with the Father.
I'm totally amused.

So anyways, I'd been praying all morning-- and had a few people call me multiple times (hurray gchat!), but typical-me had the phone on silent. Finally, I stilled myself completely, threw myself down on the bed, and just rested with God. I asked for an image.


And sure enough, clear as day, an image came into my mind. I knew exactly where my phone was. I didn't even get up to check; I just knew. And so I smiled, and stayed with the Holy Spirit for a few more minutes, reflecting on His glory, on His goodness, and on how He keeps himself involved in every little-tiny-miniscule aspect of our lives.

He loves us, friends.
He loves us so, so much.
And that is a beautiful lesson to learn today. Thank you, Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. oh good! I am glad to read the story behind the text you sent me about how God helped you find your phone. hehe.
    That verse. . .oddly enough I remember having to memorize it in 5th grade Bible Class. I blame all the nostalgia this week, but I seriously adore this verse a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...