Thursday, July 8, 2010

Here's to Hoping my Job Becomes Obsolete

My job ought to be obsolete.

Okay. Allow me to explain.
But first, let's read 2 Timothy 2:2 together:

"And what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also."
(ESV)

In this passage, Paul is writing to Timothy. Note the following things: Timothy heard straight from Paul--not from others, but he was with Paul. Timothy learned directly from this teacher. Paul's charge to our friend Tim here is to "entrust [this message] to faithful men," so that they, in turn, may teach others.

Here we see four generations of discipleship:

Paul à Timothy à Faithful people à Others

This is what we here at the CCO call the "3, 12, 70" model. Disciple to a few (3) and equip them so that they may disciple a few more (12) to teach others (70). And so on and so forth. I mean, if you really stop and think about it, you are reading this blog only because of the first twelve who took the Great Commission seriously and went out and made "disciples of all nations" (Mt. 28:19).

No, seriously. Think about that for one moment. What if they hadn't taken this charge? What if, instead, they dwindled away their time apathetically, thinking that their lives would speak the gospel? What if they bought completely into the whole, "Preach the gospel, and if necessary, use words" and nothing else? Yes, friends, our lives do need to reflect the Kingdom of God, but for Pete's sake: use your words.

Now, returning to my first statement: my job ought to be obsolete because I shouldn't have to sit in training for my career, listening to someone tell me to make disciples. I should have been doing this my whole life! The church should be doing this the whole time. We should make disciples regardless of job, location, temperament, vocation, or giftedness.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you. And surely, I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
Matthew 28:19-20, NIV

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on that.
    I just read a book called the Coffee House Gospel which really tried to help encourage people to do this as well. It didn't really help me because I am a nut who tells people about Jesus while paying for groceries but I thought it would help me do a better job or be less annoying haha. I really think it would be nice if I had a great teacher to show me how to do it, but I have had to just try it for myself which can be a little hard at times. I think one thing that we really miss out on in that last passage is that we don't baptize people right as they become Christians even though we are commanded to do so. If only I could be, "great! You're choosing to serve the Lord! That's amazing. Let's run to the river!!!" haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on that.
    I just read a book called the Coffee House Gospel which really tried to help encourage people to do this as well. It didn't really help me because I am a nut who tells people about Jesus while paying for groceries but I thought it would help me do a better job or be less annoying haha. I really think it would be nice if I had a great teacher to show me how to do it, but I have had to just try it for myself which can be a little hard at times. I think one thing that we really miss out on in that last passage is that we don't baptize people right as they become Christians even though we are commanded to do so. If only I could be, "great! You're choosing to serve the Lord! That's amazing. Let's run to the river!!!" haha.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...