Monday, August 16, 2010

But Jesus Withdrew

Stepping outside, I enter into the familiar humid blanket of summer. There's a yellow sky, promising a storm. I breathe in stagnant air, but it's still refreshing.

Inside, I have left a house full of people. They are all people I love, but I feel crowded. I know that I will eventually go back in - and I will talk, and laugh, and commune. But I also know that I receive energy from being alone. I am an introvert, through and through.

I used to fight against my introverted nature - thinking that perhaps it made me "less" of a Christian. It made me less hospitable, less social, less everything. Now, I embrace it. And sometimes I remind myself to embrace it. And sometimes, I pray for the strength to embrace it. "Help me, help me, help me."

Today, as I removed myself from the crowd, I remembered Jesus...

"But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed."
Luke 5:16, NIV

I found so much comfort in remembering that Jesus needed to remove himself from the crowd as well. It didn't mean he didn't love the people in the crowd, but he needed space to withdraw. To pray. To breathe.

Withdrawing allows me to serve and love more fully, because I am more filled.



So when I withdraw, know that it enables me to love you better.

9 comments:

  1. So true.

    And the introverts want to love people better; they don't withdraw because they don't love people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clarification of that last clause, which I realize is possibly confusing: I mean that the reason that introverts withdraw is not there lack of love for people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. their, not there

    Okay, this is my last comment. Really =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it is a bit off topic. . but that shot is really cool ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anna: I do stuff like that ALL the time. I was very amused by these multiple comments.

    @Victoria: Thanks! I forgot about the picture but was thinking of using it as the main one.. thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely. I also am an introvert, and find so true that in "returning and rest you shall be saved, in quietness and confidence shall be your strength." May God quiet you always and help you find stillness and sanctuary even within the wild and gray.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting (and commenting), Hillary! I appreciate that you took the time to read and respond.

    I hope to check out your website a little bit more soon - it looks extremely interesting and insightful.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...