Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It's Not About Me

Working my way through familiar pages, I sometimes sense the staleness in my reading as I don't pause to think of things in context, to weed through my own assumptions, and to understand what really matters.

I consider myself as I read through verses of Samuel and David, of Psalms and Proverbs, of a Messiah come and a Creation restored. I ask God the question, "Will you give me some inspiration? Something to write about?"

Weeks pass by without a sense of what I've lost, until suddenly, I read yet another familiar passage on denying oneself, and then I remember:

It's not about me.

And I thank God that I've been reminded that spending time with the Word and the Lord isn't about what I can get out of it. It isn't about how things apply directly to my life and my concerns and my situation. It's so much more than just me.

And this reorientation of view suddenly makes sense... because without it, I don't know how to read.

It's communion with the Good Creator of the World.
It's learning and understanding and actually coming to know the God who loves us.
It's about Him, and not about me.


5 comments:

  1. very true.
    It is about Him and becoming a servant to others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel- I meant to tell you (but obviously forgot) how meaningful your last post about right and wrong decisions was for me. It resounded with a lot of things I've been thinking lately, and it just came at a perfect time for me. :) So... thanks. I really appreciate your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samantha, I sincerely appreciate the comment. I never know who is or isn't reading the blog, so any time you want to comment, please do. I like to be in community with others on this journey. Please also consider subscribing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel- I meant to tell you (but obviously forgot) how meaningful your last post about right and wrong decisions was for me. It resounded with a lot of things I've been thinking lately, and it just came at a perfect time for me. :) So... thanks. I really appreciate your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very true.
    It is about Him and becoming a servant to others!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...