Monday, August 9, 2010

Out of that Shell

Our God is so relational.
I love learning this truth about Him - because for so long, I avoided relationships.
I would scamper along the street, keeping my eyes down, making minimal human contact. I'd stay packed away in my shell.
I can't really do that any more.

It starts with a question.
"So what do you do for a living?"
It's sort of how we're defined in today's culture - "What do you do?" I've had many simply-phrased answers in the past: "I'm an actress," "I work in a hospital," "I choreograph," "Retail," "Sales," "Customer Service," "Barista," "Student," and now...

"Campus Ministry."

THAT answer takes some explaining.
Because people don't know what that means, or maybe they think they know what that means and I don't quite fit their perception of it, or maybe I've possibly known them for a while and they still don't really know what I do.

Whatever the case, the answer opens up the possibility for conversation.
Conversation leads to relationship - at least, a lot more of a relationship than I've allowed for in the past. Overall, it's really a fantastic thing - especially since most of my job is about cultivating relationships.

And while I struggle to overcome my own narrow view of life, I have to laugh because God has placed me in this position in the first place.
And I smile because I can sort of hear God saying,

"Go on, Rachel, get out of that shell."

2 comments:

  1. yey! It is wonderful to see how you have grown and come out of that shell too!! great job!! It really is a great way to bring a conversation to become Christ-based when you meet people!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yey! It is wonderful to see how you have grown and come out of that shell too!! great job!! It really is a great way to bring a conversation to become Christ-based when you meet people!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...