Sunday, May 29, 2011

Waste Not, Part One: Homemade Toothpaste

Well, I promised you that I would start making our own household supplies once the current supplies ran out. And so first up: toothpaste.


I really wanted to try out the toothpaste recipe because I have a huge jar of coconut oil taking up space in my kitchen cabinet. I got it one day because I heard that a little bit of coconut oil helps ease water retention, and then I decided that was an old wive's tale.

I wanted to try out the facial cleanser because I was fascinated by the LACK of ingredients. And I thought Tsh of SimpleMom.net had a good point: using so many chemicals on our skin will strip our skin of its natural oils.

So the other night, I took these common household items...


...and started mixing!

Homemade Toothpaste

2 tbsp. coconut oil
2-3 tbsp. baking soda
1/4 teaspoon Stevia powder

Mix all ingredient together thoroughly.

So I mixed...


...and rinsed...


...and the verdict:

Ok, I don't know what temperature YOUR bathroom is at, but OUR bathroom is definitely above the melting point of coconut oil (about 75 degrees). This means that the toothpaste is liquid. My housemates and husband recommended putting it in the fridge, but it's a bit of a hassle to go to the fridge every time I want to brush my teeth.

But hey, I'm not that stubborn. So into the fridge it went.
And out of the fridge it came.
Turns out freezing coconut oil makes it way too solid. So it appears there will be no happy medium until it's cooler aka October.

The other thing is that it's extremely salty. Once we get out to a natural food store, I'm going to get some essential peppermint oil. If you're not used to weird-o natural-type stuff (ahem- husband, I'm taking about you!), you'll definitely want some sort of essential oil in the toothpaste (Tsh recommends peppermint, lemon, clove, lime, cinnamon, eucalyptus, or licorice, as not all oils are safe to ingest internally). The Stevia powder does nothing to make it palpable.

But overall, my teeth got super clean and there was no awful aftertaste.
No, but seriously, we need peppermint oil for this one.

So I give this recipe 3 out of 5 stars.
(points taken off for taste)

Credit where credit is due:
These recipes are from this lovely woman who published this lovely book.
I highly recommend purchasing it and supporting her!

Read on!

7 comments:

  1. haha yeah, well, I'm still using it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried homemade toothpaste once last year... not Tsh's exact recipe, but one similar. I used it one time. I was so un-used to the texture (mine was also liquid b/c our bathroom was HOT) that I promptly threw it away! haha! And, I just saw your question about the detergent recipe. I'll give you my recipe tomorrow morning! (sometimes I forget to check back for replies to replies. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing! I've been looking for some homemade toothpaste recipes for my wife. She loves homemade stuff. I think she's gonna love this recipe because its so easy to do. Maybe I can even do it myself, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sal, be sure to use peppermint! It makes it much better. And a little more baking soda will keep it from getting too runny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sal, be sure to use peppermint! It makes it much better. And a little more baking soda will keep it from getting too runny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha yeah, well, I'm still using it!!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...