Sunday, May 22, 2011

Waste Not, Intro: What I Can't Wait to Try

Sparked by my minimalist/moving post, my friend Samantha from Sam Still Seeking recommended the book Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider of SimpleMom.Net. It seemed right up my alley, so when my husband informed me I could pick out a few books for my birthday, it was on the top of my list.


The subtitle is "The Clutter-Free Approach to Intentional Living." Oh, man - this subtitle makes the dorky-homemaker bottled up inside me all sorts of giddy. Could there BE a more perfect book out there for this stage in life? Here I am - living intentionally in community with three other adults. And, as you can imagine, we certainly have enough stuff between the three of us to fill up our three-bedroom home. Clutter-free is definitely the magic word!

This book is great for anyone who wants to live more simply and intentionally. You don't have to be in tight quarters or in community to garner a wealth of inspiration (and practical advice) from this book.

But hey, I'm not really a book reviewer. I'm all about practical implementation.

So Tsh gives a whole slew of recipes for making household items, such as laundry detergent, all-purpose cleaner, toothpaste, shampoo, etc. Sure, you can probably find a whole bunch of these on the internet, but I love how she splits it up in a shopping list (what you'll need) and simple recipes (what you'll do).

I'm super excited about trying some of these out. As we fill up trash bag after trash bag in our home, I've been scratching my head trying to think of ways to cut down on our contribution to the local landfill. So as we run out of important items (such as toothpaste and facial cleanser), instead of running to the store to buy yet another plastic tube of convenience, I'm going to try out some of her recipes and give you some feedback on the results. Once I post these results, I'd love to get your own recipes/input! Excited yet?? If you aren't, then you aren't in touch with your inner dorky-homemaker and I just feel sorry for you. :-p

Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. I want to do it too!!! ooooo! I've been using my cans and jars to make luminaries and other cute things. Mainly I just used them to do my brother's wedding decorations that I was completely in charge of.

    Anyway yey! I am going to have to look into this book. i learned how to make my own bubbles so I don't have to buy them at stores for my sons. And oh goodness there was a cute idea I found (while searching for wedding stuff) of using old skeleton keys for them to use to blow bubbles too and using old jars to decorate to hold the bubbles in. I am SO doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray!!! :) I've been making homemade detergent for a year now, and it's so much cheaper, and dye and perfume free. I haven't finished reading my book yet, but I love it so much!! I'm glad you got it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samantha, what detergent recipe are you using? And does anyone know where I can find BORAX? It's in almost every recipe and I have no idea what aisle to look for it in at the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samantha, what detergent recipe are you using? And does anyone know where I can find BORAX? It's in almost every recipe and I have no idea what aisle to look for it in at the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to do it too!!! ooooo! I've been using my cans and jars to make luminaries and other cute things. Mainly I just used them to do my brother's wedding decorations that I was completely in charge of.

    Anyway yey! I am going to have to look into this book. i learned how to make my own bubbles so I don't have to buy them at stores for my sons. And oh goodness there was a cute idea I found (while searching for wedding stuff) of using old skeleton keys for them to use to blow bubbles too and using old jars to decorate to hold the bubbles in. I am SO doing it.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...