Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Best-Kept Secret to Gluten-Free Living

This is a little off-topic from the blog's focus, but I thought it was pretty cool enough to share. And since I know a lot more of the world is going gluten-free, I figured it would be worth divulging a secret.

A little bit of background first: I am gluten-free (and also corn- and shellfish-free). This is not by choice, but by necessity. Since high school, I started getting random hives and allergic reactions to some unknown thing. It steadily grew worse until college, when I started going into anaphylactic shock and took a number of trips to the ER.

Finally, my allergist zeroed in on the culprit: gluten, corn, shellfish, and ibuprofen. These were all things I had consumed my entire life, but for some reason my body developed an adverse reaction to them.

Luckily for me, gluten-free living is all the rage, and this means more access to all things gluten-free and delicious. However, access does not always equal cheap. A lot of gluten-free things (especially flour) are extremely pricey. My plan was to just subsist off of rice cakes and protein, until my housemates discovered the secret to living gluten-free on a budget:

Indian-Pakistani Grocers.

No lie. My housemates went out on an excursion to (one of) our local Indian Grocer(s) and brought back...


Awesome.

These flours would probably run about $6-$8 per bag at the regular grocery store, and you'd probably get a fraction of the amount you see above. These flours ran about $2-$4 a bag.

I am so. excited.
And you should be too!

So go support your local grocer and enjoy eating homemade gluten-free bread and other goodies! Huzzah!

9 comments:

  1. That's great that you get some good deals to help you with what you're allowed to eat!! There is a gluten-free section at our store, but I don't know anything about gluten-free!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Korean/Chinese grocery stores (like H-Mart) are also good for the alternative flours.

    Good work, house mates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, Jocelyn and Zack!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for housemates!

    Thanks for sharing! I've been trying to find flours I can have now that I'm living with the thyroid thing (which means no wheat, soy, millet, rye, corn, peanut or walnut)--I'll have to try shopping at the pan-Asian grocers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ethnic grocers are great places for getting all kinds of things for cheaper than a regular grocery store -- especially spices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was actually all Elliott and Zack...no Jocelyn this time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was actually all Elliott and Zack...no Jocelyn this time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for housemates!

    Thanks for sharing! I've been trying to find flours I can have now that I'm living with the thyroid thing (which means no wheat, soy, millet, rye, corn, peanut or walnut)--I'll have to try shopping at the pan-Asian grocers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah! Korean/Chinese grocery stores (like H-Mart) are also good for the alternative flours.

    Good work, house mates!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...