Tuesday, August 30, 2011

there's always one more thing.


Do you ever have one of those days?

I'm talking about the type-of-day that seems slow to start because you have so many things to juggle on your plate that you don't even know where to begin -- the kind of day that seems overwhelming from the minute you wake up because you can't quiet your mind enough to figure out how to prioritize -- one of those days that looms over your head like a black storm cloud, and all you feel you can do is flinch while you wait for the rain to start pouring.

One of those days.

I guess it's not even the prospect of this one day that is overwhelming to me, but the prospect of days to come.  There is a shift coming upon us -- a shift from maternity-leave and endless-days-alone-with-baby to frantic running-around going from this-job-to-that while at the same time trying to maintain a level of balance.  And there are other things looming overhead -- things I won't name right now -- that just seem much-too-much to take in right now.

I pray every night that Gwen would not live in a life of stress.  We've spent most of our marriage sprinting from one job to the other, from home to school to job to home and back again.  It's been frantic and busy and I want it to slow down.  But there is always something else, something new, something that can't-be-passed-up.

And I can't help but wonder -- what are the best decisions?  Are we making them?  Should we be more deliberate about guarding our time and schedule?  But -- and here's the kicker -- how does one even do that, exactly?

Because, let's face it:  there's laundry to be done and dishes to be cleaned and dinner to be made and monologues to memorize and songs to sing and homework to do and people to see and relationships to maintain and babies to nurture and blogs to write and books to read and so on and so on and wash, rinse, repeat.  And repeat.  And repeat.

God says, "Be still, and know that I am God."
Does anyone else find this incredibly hard to do??
And if you've somehow found the secret to juggling life and being still before God... could you let me in on it?  Please?

Sara Groves - Just One More Thing

There's always just one more thing,
There's always another task.
There's always I've just have one more small favor to ask.
And everything is urgent.
And everything is now.
I wonder what would really happen if we stopped somehow?

I'll be there in a minute, just a few places to go
You wake up a few years later and your kids are grown.
And everything is important
But everything is not
At the end of your life your relationships are all you've got.

And love to me is when you put down that one more thing and say
I have something better to do.
And love to me is when you walk out on that one more thing and say
Nothing will come between me and you.

Not even one thing.

There will never be an end to the request upon your time
It's your place to stand up and tell the world you've gotta rest a while.
And everything is important
but everything is not.
At the end of your life your relationships are all you've got.

And love to me is when you put down that one more thing and say
I have something better to do.
And love to me is when you walk out on that one more thing and say
Nothing will come between me and you.

Not even one thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...