Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Waste Not Wednesday: Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

For the last two years, I've been washing dishes by hand.  It's something you can get used to rather quickly.  Although we've been using washable dish rags instead of sponges to cut down on waste (and bacteria build-up), I never really ran across a homemade dish detergent for hand washing.  Our detergent is almost out, so if you know of one, please tell me!

But here in the community house, we got a dishwasher!  I was, at first, vehemently opposed, but I do admit it's cut down on a lot of time at the sink (especially with four hungry adults!).  I'm not sure what the environmental-repercussions are of a machine vs. hand-washing.  I'd be interested to hear your own thoughts on the subject.

Anyhoo.

So we got this machine, which means I got to try out...

Homemade Dish Detergent
(Ok, ready for the list of ingredients?  Brace yourselves, it's a long one!)

Equal parts Borax and Washing Soda



(Yup.  That's IT!)


 We just mix the two parts together in a glass jar.


This is my kitchen helper:


She keeps things interesting.  And cute.

Ok.  So here's the thing.  We like that this type of detergent is easy on our wallets and that we know the exact ingredients going into our wash.  So those are the plus sides.  The down side?  We're left with a weird sort of residue on all our glasses.  I don't think we have hard water, so I'm not sure what to do about the problem.  Anyone have any ideas?  We are okay with it, but I know guests might think our dishes are dirty when they come over.

Rating:
3.5 out of 5 stars
(points off for the residue)

Alright, so there are a few more things we do around here to cut down on waste/live naturally, but I'm running out of ideas.  And YES, I WILL try the homemade shampoo one of these days, but if you have anything you use or have been curious about, send me a link/recipe in the comments section.

Credit where credit is due:
These recipes are from this lovely woman who published this lovely book.
I highly recommend purchasing it and supporting her!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...