Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Waste Not Wednesday: Homemade Hand Soap

Hand soap always frustrated me.

The little disposable dispensers are convenient, sure -- but the expense adds up quickly, and they produce a lot of needless waste.

For a while, we were just using a bar of soap.  But two problems arose from this method.  One, my soap dishes kept breaking (don't ask.  I'm clumsy.  I was also pregnant at the time.).  Two, the soap left a lot of soapiness on our sink (and it's hard to wash that stuff off, ironically enough).

So I decided a couple weeks ago that I would just start making hand soap. 

I collected together our empty soap dispensers and cleaned them out.



Then I mixed together 
1/2 cup Dr. Bronner's castille soap
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp vegetable oil

I put in the vegetable oil to aid in moisture.  And it really worked.
I have very dry hands, but I've noticed since using the soap that my hands are less dry.
And the castille soap makes it very soapy/bubbly.
Bottom line:  My hands feel very clean.  And not dry.

Hurray!


I'll give this recipe 5 out of 5 stars.

What about you?  What would you recommend for hand soap?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...