Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Waste Not Wednesday: How to Get a New Wardrobe (without buying a thing)

Sometimes, no matter how simply you live or how much you are content with your wardrobe, you are just plain tired of your clothes.


You look at your closet and think, "I just don't feel like wearing any of these things."


Or maybe you put on the same, go-to, feel-good outfit that you wear every week.


(This is my fall go-to outfit.  You will probably see me in this dress at least once a week.)

So, what do you do when you're worn out by your own wardrobe?

If you're tired of the "grin-and-bear-it" method, I have another idea.  Inspired by an annual church swap and from borrowing maternity clothes last year, here's my idea:  a clothing swap.

Here's how it works:  Go through your closet and take out all those clothes you've for-some-reason-or-another held onto throughout the years but never actually wear any more.  Call up some friends and ask them to do the same.  Find a central location point and -- you've got it -- start swapping!

I've done haphazard versions of the swap (nothing too formal) over the last year as I've had to borrow (and lend) maternity clothes, and through the process of losing weight from the pregnancy (the in-between stage was really awkward for a while until someone gave me a bunch of their old clothes).   I also know I had a few skirts and hoodies I didn't really want to part with (for strange, nostalgic reasons), but felt okay giving them to friends who would wear them.



You can get some really great new favorite outfit pieces without spending a penny, and you'll (hopefully) be able to part with all those old-time favorite items.


For more great green ideas, check out the weekly Your Green Resource guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...