Thursday, November 10, 2011

sitting down by the well

"Jacob's well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well."
John 4:6

Sometimes, I am tired from the journey.

Yet there are not many voices in this world telling me it's okay to be tired.
The voices -- both internal and external ones -- tell me to keep going - 
to add more things to my plate - 
to make that one more phone call - 
to do that one more thing before laying down at night - 
that I am nothing if I am not productive.

But sometimes, I am just tired.

Yet there are not many minds that understand that it's normal to be tired.
The minds of many -- my own, and those of others -- believe with all their might
that only the weak sit down - 
that I'm giving in if I give up a little -
that I need to be like that person or this person or - 
like someone else who is doing a little (or a lot) bit more than me.

But listen -- I am tired.

Yet there are not many ears that hear that it's me who is breaking under the weight.
The ears of many hear me but do not hear me, if you know what I mean.
Instead, they see me as a project to better, to build up - 
to encourage to commit to another service, another ministry - 
because that's what I need - that's what will make me feel better - 
something else to give all my energy towards, because it is a sin to be alone,
or (in other words) to be an introvert.
...to regain energy from being alone...
...from being still...

To all those who are tired:
sometimes, I am tired too.

And you know what?
Sometimes Jesus was tired.

And He sat by a well.
To drink - to be nourished - to regain His strength.

So when I am tired, I will sit with Him at the well.
To drink - to be nourished - to regain some strength.

And I welcome you to do the same.

Because it is not Jesus who told us to keep busy - to keep adding things to our schedules - to gauge our worth in comparison to the productivity of others - 

No.  This is what Jesus said:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy-laden,
and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...