Thursday, November 24, 2011

Why Thanksgiving Is My Favorite Holiday

No expectations.  Just family, and friends that are basically just family.  
And food.  And sharing.
Opening up homes.  Good conversation.  Remembering to be thankful.
Pies.

These are the reasons why I love Thanksgiving. 


Don't get me wrong.  I love Christmas and Easter.  But the thing is, the reason we celebrate Christmas and Easter are the same reasons I live and breathe and write and sing and dance.  It takes up my entire life.  Every day is a remembrance of Christmas and Easter.  But Christmas and Easter in America have been usurped, and it's hard for me to disconnect from the allure of presents under the Christmas tree (just being honest!).

But when it comes to Thanksgiving, there is nothing to usurp or spoil.  It's simply time to be with family and share a meal together, voicing our thankfulness.  There's something so pure about it that cannot be paralleled.  No matter where I have been for Thanksgiving (even in Oxford!) or with whom (even without the immediate family!), this holiday has always been a glorious celebration of RELATIONSHIPS.

I simply love it.

And I hope you do, too!


Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...