Tuesday, January 31, 2012

the Bible in 90 days

Yup, that's right.
In the next 90 days, I will be reading the Bible cover to cover.
That's 12 pages a day, straight through.


Actually, I'm not the only one.  There are a good number of people from my church (50?  100?  Something like that?) doing the same thing.  You see, we're in a period of transition from one denomination to another, and the leaders decided it would be a good idea for the congregation to have a good foundation.  Personally.

The last time I read the entire Bible was during my freshman year of college.  I read it over the course of two semesters.  But I was drinking milk, friends.  I wasn't ready for solid food, or solid study for that matter.  So I hurried my way through the chapters, hoping to add another checkmark to my "LOOK-I'M-A-(hypocritical/judgmental/I'm-better-than-you)-CHRISTIAN" list.

I'm, um, not in that place any more.

Anyhoo.

These are the reasons I decided to join a new Sunday school class (and thus, alas, leaving my young adult Sunday school class behind for three months) to read through the Bible:


  1. First and foremost, I want to know God better.  I long to know who He is and how He has revealed Himself to us through His Word.
  2. I want the accountability.  Though I have tried to be disciplined about reading the Bible, I always venture through it haphazardly.  I wanted structure and discipline, and I am better about those things when I have a deadline or people counting on me to get it done.
  3. I am ever-in-need of developing good habits when it comes to spending time with the Lord.  Reading 12 pages a day means I need to set aside a total of 30 minutes to an hour each day of God time. I hope this will help to further establish God as the main priority in my life.

And so far, just two and a half days into the 90-day-Bible-challenge, here are some things that are happening:


  • I am bringing the Bible with me EVERYWHERE in order to sneak another chapter in.  
  • The Bible is becoming interwoven into every part of my waking life.
  • If I am up before anyone else in the house, the first thing I do is open the Word (instead of casually browsing the internet).
  • I am making connections in the Bible that I've never made before.
  • I am seeing more of God.
  • I am hearing Him more clearly.
  • If I am caught in an especially busy day, I STILL make time to read those 12 pages.
I can't wait to see what else is in store!  If I can learn all this in a couple days, what will I have learned by the end of day 90?  

Have you ever read through the Bible?  What was it like?  How did you keep yourself accountable?

Are you interested in reading the Bible in 90 days?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...