Monday, January 30, 2012

buy a hoodie/save a life: CODE:PURPLE

"[In Africa,] it's not a matter of if I'll get malaria, but when I'll get malaria."
-Pam Abma

Admittedly, I live under a box labeled, "Oblivious."

I seriously have gone through most of my life assuming certain things have been eradicated in the entire world.  Things like child labor.  Sweatshops.  Malaria.

After all, there's a vaccine for malaria, right?  So everyone's good.  No one gets infected.  It's like the black plague; a thing of the past.  Right?  

...

Right?

...

Not so much, friends.

Malaria is the number two killer in Africa.
Every 45 seconds, a child in Africa dies from it.

This is no joke.

Malaria rarely affects us in the States.  For that reason, we remain in our oblivious boxes.  We don't see it, so it must not exist.  But once in a while, one of these issues hits home, and we start paying attention.  

I have a friend (Hi, Rebecca!) who's relative almost died of malaria.  Her name is Pam.  And if you have five minutes to spare (and I know you do), you should watch this quick video...





Did you catch that??  

We can help.  

We can do something about malaria.  

On February 16, the launch of the CODE:PURPLE Event takes place during Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in NYC.  This event will spread awareness, raise funds, and save lives who remain susceptible to malaria.

ING Activewear has developed a hoodie made out of moskeeto armor.  This is special type of fabric that is lightweight, can completely cover a person's torso and head, and repels all insects.  My friend mentioned that most people in Africa sleep under mosquito nets.  If they have to go to the bathroom, they have to leave and remain unprotected.  This hoodie will change all that.

The color purple was chosen because it's a neutral color; it can be worn by anyone in Africa, regardless of tribal association.  It's safe.

Anyways.  I hope you're getting the point here.


buy a hoodie = save a life
Got it?

But you can also spread the word.  Today.
You can follow @CodePurpleEvent on Twitter and Facebook.
You can RT this post.  You can RT other posts on the subject.
You can talk about it.  You can post about it.

You can make this cause go viral.

I hope you'll join me in discarding the "Oblivious" box,
because I, for one, know I'm ready to let it go for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...