Tuesday, January 17, 2012

the most depressing day of the year

Did you know that the third Monday in January actually has a name?  It's called Blue Monday, because apparently it's the most depressing day in the year.

Personally, I didn't feel too depressed this past Monday.  Actually, it was a pretty good day.  But I guess for a lot of people, the end-of-the-holidays/return-to-work thing really hits them hard.

The other contributing factor to Blue Monday is not keeping New Year's resolutions.  This is perhaps something I can relate to, and since I was busy with family on Monday, I didn't have time to think of resolutions or feeling unmotivated.  But today is my very own "I-don't-wanna-do-it Tuesday," wherein I don't really feel like following through with my resolution to write on this blog for another year.

There are a number of reasons.  One reason is that I'm finding a writing outlet somewhere else, as one of my childhood dreams has come true and I'm getting paid to write elsewhere.  Another reason is that I'm suddenly very aware of how vulnerable I've been and that makes me want to crawl under a rock some days.  And probably a third reason is because I publicly announced my resolution to write for another year.

Ugh.

I brought this up to Elliott.  I hoped he would say, "Well, just don't do it any more," but instead he said, "Maybe God wants you to push through this rough spot.  All writers have to face times like this."

Argh.

So I guess I'm not going anywhere, and I will continue to write -- no matter how haphazard or uninspired the posts may be.

How did you feel on Blue Monday?  
How are you feeling about your New Year's resolutions?

1 comment:

  1. Please keep going! And don't be ashamed of or embarrassed about your honesty, it's an important piece of who you are and how you write.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...