Monday, January 2, 2012

resolutions

2011 was a great but strange year, and in it I met many changes in my life.  There were a lot of firsts - first time being pregnant, first time having a baby, first time understanding the joy of constant selflessness, and first time not having a crazy-fun New Year's Eve (we opted to stay in, watch some Downton Abbey, and go to bed early since I am S.I.C.K. (oh, and if you haven't seen Downton Abbey, stop reading this post and watch the first season.  Right now.  (I'm not kidding.)  (Go do it.)  (It's the best show I've ever seen.  I feel like the creators sat around and asked themselves, "What would be the perfect show for Rachel Stephan Simko?" and then created Downtown Abbey.)  (They just forgot to include dinosaurs, but you know - it's only in the second season.))))).  Anyways.  I've decided to take on another first at the end of 2011/beginning of 2012: making a New Year's resolution.

Kristen over at Rage Against the Minivan wrote a post about why she hates New Year's Eve, and it got me thinking about my own love/hate relationship with the holiday.  On the one hand, I've always enjoyed spending a late night with friends, usually involving some sort of sleepover/staying-up-way-too-late, and having the obligatory 11-o'clock-(gluten-free)-pancake-brunch.  So on the celebratory side, I've always loved the holiday.  On the other hand, I've never been one for resolutions.  It always seemed arbitrary to me, and any attempt I made at resolutions on New Year's Eve always fell flat the next week because I just didn't see the point.  If I wanted to make a change, I would just make a change -- no matter what part of the year.  I didn't see the reasoning behind confining oneself to a holiday to make a resolution of change.

Well, that part of me shifted in the last couple weeks, and I'm not exactly sure why.  But there are two resolutions I feel I must make for 2012:

Resolution 1: In regards to health, I've decided to forgo refined sugar for the year, except on special occasions (meaning holidays or birthdays).  I am coming to this decision because I am consistently trying to find ways to eat better and take care of myself for the long haul.  Although I've had some doctors tell me I eat healthier than anyone they've met, sugar is one area that I want to completely separate myself from.  I did a trial run a month ago, and found (to my great shock and dismay) that I was a bit addicted -- even to the small bits I was having each day.  So starting yesterday, I've said goodbye to sugar.

Resolution 2: In regards to the blog, I've decided to stick with it for the year and see what happens.  Every time I get discouraged about writing this blog, I lift my discouragement up to the Lord, and I immediately either get a bunch more followers overnight, or a random encouraging comment to "keep going" from a person who never comments (but apparently always reads).  I'm not sure what God is doing with/through this blog, but it seems like He wants me to keep on going.  To be quite honest, there are so many things I love about it (and one of my favorite things is connecting to people, so please start commenting if you're a regular reader!  I want to meet you!), but it is tricky to keep posting with an almost-mobile baby and two and a half other jobs (teaching theatre, blogging for a business, and campus ministry/mentorship).  So I've been getting weary, but I'm gonna give it one more year.

What are your thoughts on New Year's resolutions?  Will you be making any this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...