Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What I Wore Wednesday (First Time!): Victorian Casual

I'm really excited about starting something new at the start of this year.  In an effort to connect with more bloggers (and to keep me motivated), I'm shaking up my Wednesday routine.  Don't worry!  If you are mainly at my blog for the simple-living posts, they will still be here, just not every Wednesday.  To give you hope, I promise I am working on a review of homemade laundry detergent, as well as a couple of highlights of some super spiffy books I received for Christmas.  So stay tuned!

But back to the matter at hand.  Inspired by the lovely Megan over at Sorta Crunchy, and the other ladies who take part in the What I Wore Wednesday link up, I've decided to get back in touch with my pre-mommy (pre-wear-pajamas-all-day) self when it comes to fashion.

I did a lot of experimenting with fashion in college, but in recent years, I've been trying to cut back on my closet, and I've sort of wanted to dress as simply as possible.  But I'm a theatre-girl at heart, which means I love anything that feels like a costume.  So I thought I'd give you all a taste of the types of things I wear.

It's also worth saying that I haven't gone shopping for myself in at least three years.  All of my clothes are clothes I've had for YEARS (some dating back to eighth grade, no lie), but most have been given to me or were found in my mother's closet (she rocks... and has a better eye for fashion than I do).

So without further ado, I give you my first WIWW Post:

Victorian Casual

I call my look "Victorian Casual" because I'm inspired by the Victorian period, with the lace and the high collars, and the boots, and the fanciness.  But I'm also a mom, which means I like to wear jeans and fuzzy boots and t-shirts.  So I do what I can.


This past week, I wore this vintage coat around most days.  It's not warm enough for the chilliest of days, but it was mostly mild around these parts, so it was a good excuse to wear this beauty.


The coat was a gift from a friend who got it from her sister.  Her sister was giving it away, and Sonya decided it was my style, so she snagged it.  I am forever grateful.

(Forgive the indoor/uninspired shots.  I literally gave the camera to my husband 10 minutes before I ran out the door for work.  He was holding our baby the whole time.  I thought he did a pretty good job considering the circumstances.)


And this is what was under the coat.  Notice the lace?  My style has always been lots of layers, so I have a cardigan on top of a long-sleeved shirt on top of a tank top.  And usually I wear cooler boots than mere fuzzy ones, but when it's cold, my feet want the fuzzy.

Cardigan: Free People, Shirt: Moth, Tank: Target, Skinny Jeans: J Crew, Boots: Bearclaw

Here's another outfit I wore this week:


Again, lots of layers!  I have a small high-collared jacket over a t-shirt over a tank top (and yes, the tank top has lace on the bottom - of course!).

Jacket: Anne Taylor LOFT, T-Shirt: Anthropologie, Tank: I have no idea, 
Grey Leggings: Old Navy, Plaid Galoshes: Sperry at DSW

But to be honest, when I'm inside the house (and I'm inside the house most of the time), I switch out my boots for these friends:

Slippers:  Urban Outfitters (Christmas present!  Thanks mom!!!)

And that's what I wore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...