Sunday, January 22, 2012

what parenting has taught me

Parenting has taught me a great many things.  Some of the things I thought I would never learn in a million years, and other things I never knew were there to learn in the first place.  Most of the things I have learned I cannot even begin to put into words -- they are the unspeakable "Amens" that pass in and out of me like a breath before I can grasp at them.

The lessons I have learned are profound -- they stun me into utter awe before a God I feel I am just beginning to understand.

But.  There are a few lessons I can name, and I want to name them here.  In my very short seven-month time of parenting (and nine-months of incubating said seven-month-old baby), here are some things I have learned:

Parenting has taught me that months go by way too fast.


Parenting has taught me to live as selflessly as possible -- going beyond being selfless; selfless just became a part of me -- it snuck up on my selfish nature and nearly kidnapped it.  I find myself doing things I never dreamed my selfish nature would let me do, and I do them so, so gladly.


Parenting has taught me to slow. the. heck. down., and to literally breathe in moments that I never want to slip me by.


Parenting has taught me that poop is a legitimate topic of conversation.


Parenting has taught me that sometimes we have to do the hard thing to make baby healthy (even if it requires a few tears shed in the process -- both mine and hers).


Parenting has taught me just a tiny bit of what it's like for God to look down on us.


Parenting has taught me how every little decision I make affects another person.


Parenting has taught me to never say never, and that saying never means I probably will.



Parenting has taught me that I should sing my way through life much more often.

Parenting has taught me how to say no in order to protect the rhythm of our days and days off.


Parenting has taught me to never judge someone else's parenting decisions (partly because sometimes I later find myself making those very decisions I once judged so harshly).


Parenting has taught me to revere the library.


Parenting has taught me that sometimes, you just need to stop doing and start cuddling.


Parenting has taught me that nothing compares to being a parent.



What has parenting taught you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...