Monday, September 10, 2012

choices, and being sensible

Before I plunge ahead into my day, I have a choice.

I can choose to forge ahead and get started on my to-do list (this is the most tempting option, especially as a mom to a one-year-old with limited "free" -- ie. chore -- time).

Or I can choose to stop.  Listen.  Pray.  Read the Bible.

Guess which one I often choose.


Lately, I have sense God giving me a direct, "No," when I think about getting ahead on my to-do list.  And you know what?  I think it's more sensible (isn't that funny?  God is more sensible than I am!  Who would've thought?).  Here's why it's more sensible.

My whole life, I've been arranging my day.  Me.  I've had to-do lists and I've started on them.  When I was in college, I didn't start (or end) the day with God because... well, I was in college and had assignments that had due dates (c'mon, God -- official due dates!  You can't mess around with homework assignments, right?).  When I was out of college, I had three jobs and didn't have time to be with the Lord (but definitely had time to work out incessantly -- funny how that works out).  When I became a mom, I didn't have time because babygirl only sleeps for a finite amount of time and I have to keep the house/work from home/call to make doctor's appointments/etc.

Sensing a pattern yet?
Seem familiar?

God's clearly telling me to stop living my own way.

Some days I will be productive, some days I won't.  That will happen whether or not I spend time with God.  Sometimes, I have quiet time and Gwenny sleeps incredibly well that day and I get everything accomplished and then some.  Other times, she barely sleeps a half hour before walking up and I just barely have time to spend with God (like today -- I already hear her stirring).

But whether or not I am productive is not the point.  The Bible says to use your time wisely.  That doesn't mean the floor has to be mopped every week (haven't read a verse about that one yet).  It does mean that I'm supposed to bring my daughter up in the Lord, and I can't exactly do that unless I'm learning about the Lord myself.

See?  It's just more sensible to spend time with God, because the day will turn out the way the day will turn out anyways, but if I neglect my spiritual life, then I am starving myself of Life.

It's time to put the to-do list aside first-thing, and instead cultivate the relationship I agreed to long ago.

He said to count the cost before we become a disciple.

Did I count it, or was I just deceiving myself?

What about you?

  • How are you doing about spending quiet time? 
  • What are the things that keep you from doing it daily?
  • How are you going to make sure it happens? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...