Thursday, September 27, 2012

in car we trust

When it comes to our car, God is testing me on trusting Him.

It's not a bad car.  It's the newest car we've ever had.  It STILL has under 100,000 miles, and that's saying something for us.  It was also a gift, and we are incredibly thankful for it.

And yet, ever since we've had this car, we've been pouring money into it.

In fact, this is how it works:

  • We end up saving a lot of money.
  • Something happens with the car.
  • We take it in.
  • The repairs cost almost exactly as much as we had just saved.

Elliott and I are trying our hardest.  We don't make a lot of money (the realities of ministry and support-raising), but we live frugally.  We don't spend needlessly, we don't rack up credit card debt, we give to our church and other organizations, and we are trying -- desperately -- to save, both for ourselves and our children.

But it feels like whatever we do, our best efforts are in vain.  And all because of a car.

Every time it happens, I feel defeated.
But then I remember -- am I putting my trust in a car -- in a bank account -- in a safety net?
Or am I trusting God?

I say I'm trusting God, but most of the time, I think I'm putting my trust in these others things.

So.  God is in control, as always.  He's showing me that.  Big time.

Alright, God.  I trust You.  I trust You to take care of our finances and our family.  We'll continue to do our own part and be responsible.  I trust that somehow -- in some miraculous way yet again -- that You will provide for our every need when the need arises.

(...but maybe You could go a little easy on the car for a while?...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...