Friday, October 5, 2012

second babies

They say no pregnancy is the same, and no child is alike. 

It seems like such an obvious thing to say, but somehow, you always expect things to be the same.  "I've done this before," you think.  "I know what to expect."

In a similar way, it's sort of like running.  No two runs are the same, even if it's the same route and the same time of day.  Your body is different -- you're running on different amounts of sleep or different food intakes or whatever.  Some runs are great, some runs are awful.  Part of being a runner is accepting the good with the bad, and pushing forward.

And so it is with parenthood; accepting the great moments ("I accomplished so much today!") and the not-so-great ones ("All I did was nap and watch Sesame Street!").

I've written recently about how this pregnancy is different, and how mentally it's easier but physically it's not, and I'm still learning that every day.

With this second baby, I never really got the second trimester boost of energy that I did with Gwen.  I totally remember when I hit week 12 or so with Gwen, I was SUPERDUPER energized.  I ran five miles every day, I was really excited about everything, and I was uber productive.  Currently, I'm still in the needs-at-least-one-nap-a-day on top of sleeping a lot at night.  I get at least 9 hours of sleep each night, but if I didn't get up to go to the gym or didn't have to wake up to the Gwen-alarm, I would totally sleep more like 12 hours.

With this second baby, I have to eat like crazy.  I remember being hungry with Gwen on occasion, but it wasn't really crazy ridiculous.  Last night, I ate a large helping of chicken, rice, and veggies at 5, then was absolutely ravenous for the next hour until I finally ate rice cakes, peanut butter, a banana, and yogurt, and then was still absolutely distracted by hunger until 7pm when I ate a large bowl of cereal with milk.  Then I woke up this morning with a rumbling in my tummy.

It's all just different.  Not ideal, not not ideal -- just different.

And so -- as with running -- I just take each day in its own.  Some days, I can push through and get a lot done; other days, I have to sleep in and nap later on for two hours.  It is what it is.

There are no real poignant thoughts here -- just sort of where I am.  I'd love to hear from you...

  • What things do you have to accept day-to-day that are less-than-ideal in your mind?
  • If you've been in this boat, how were your pregnancies different?  What did each one teach you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...