Friday, October 26, 2012

the plight of the napless house: i am only human

I thought it was the flu shot.
I thought it was a phase.
I thought it was teething.
I thought it was the adjustment period from going down to one nap instead of two.

I thought a lot of things -- mainly things that meant "this time will pass" and our darling daughter -- the one who never had nap/sleeping problems in her life -- would fall back into napping.

Week after week passed.
And then we were passing the month mark.

And now -- a month and a half later -- she barely naps at all.  She might get in a 45 minute snooze, or maybe that's just when she's super quiet

I'll bet it's a combination of all the things above.  She DID have a flu shot that kept her up.  She WAS going through some sort of phase.  She IS teething, and her swollen gums and little teeth poking through are the proof.  She IS having to adjust from two naps to one.

So all of these things happened simultaneously, and the result is a girl who is so overtired that she just can't settle down to nap any more.


I'm working on it.  I'm trying different things.  And I'm praying something sticks.

But all of this "naplessness" has meant a shift in my house and my own well-being.  I am less productive.  I am weary.  I find myself having to rest and nap whenever she's at least contently playing in her crib.

I am at the end of my rope, so to speak.

A lot of people can relate to this feeling -- whether from a napless child or a job they hate or a bad living situation or whatever.  So many people are weary and at the end of their rope.  So many of us have to prioritize what can and can't get done.

But there are certain things that can't change.  The non-negotiables, remember?

And I have actually been comforted in remembering the following truths:

"As for man, his days are like grass;
he flourishes like a flower of the field;
for the wind passes over it, and it is gone,
and its place knows it no more."
Psalm 103:15-16

How many people have there been before me -- mothers even -- who have felt so weary and had to let things slide?  How many before me have had to choose rest most days of the week over being productive?  I am just one of billions.   

My days are like grass.

Weariness is a reminder to me that I am human -- that I will never be able to do everything in the world all of the time.  

It's a reminder that I must rest.
Then it hits me:  maybe resting is even more productive than the "productive" things I'm not able to do.  Maybe it's worth taking time out in order to save energy to mother the rambunctious toddler who wants to run and squeal all day.  Maybe it's worth taking the 15-minute nap in order to keep my body working properly so that Baby 2 can grow big and strong inside me.  Maybe it's worth sitting down to read the Bible and pray so that I can continue to be transformed by the Lord.

Hm.

I'd say it's definitely worth it.
  • How do you react to weary situations?  Do you let yourself rest, or do you push through?
  • When was a time that you were reminded of your humanity?  How did it affect the way you live?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...