Thursday, November 29, 2012

I live my life in a frantic pace, but I want peace instead.

"Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below."

-Be Still My Soul, written by Katharina Amalia Dorothea von Schlegel (1752)

If you've read this blog long enough, you'll know that I tend to be a frantic person.  I always feel like I'm juggling a million things in the air -- that I can barely ever stop to breathe or pause.  Certainly, I have been trying -- but then something in my life changes, and I feel the frantic energy pulsing through my veins yet again.

In a way, it's sort of part of my disposition.
But does it have to be?

My life is like a lot of other lives.  In fact, my life is a lot less busier than other lives.  I have a lot of opportunities for "down time," all things considered.  

So why do I constantly feel frantic?
Do others feel the same way, or are they walking with a peace in their hearts?

Jesus said he gave us the Holy Spirit as a counselor -- a minister -- of peace to us.  In fact, we named Gwendolyn Shiloh after this verse, so it's one that is ever-present in my mind:

“These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid."
 John 14:25-27, ESV 

I want to live with peace abounding in my life -- not with frantic energy destroying my spirit.  I want my life to spill over with a stillness -- not infecting others with anxious attitudes.  

Last year, I had many resolutions at the New Year that, for various reasons, I broke.  This year, I wonder if I can challenge myself to live a life full of peace -- to combat these feelings of worry and hurry the way they should be fought: with prayer.  

As I think ahead to how I will -- daily -- commit to peace, I would love to hear your thoughts and stories on the issue:
  • Do you live with a frantic energy, or do you live with peace?  Was it something you had to work at, or did it come naturally?
  • How do you choose peace over anxiety every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...