Friday, November 16, 2012

if you've ever been pregnant and felt like a waddling, fat duck...

Photo by bahketni on flickr


I get it, girls.  I really do.

I get it when I'm battling head trash during boot camp -- seeing all my super-fit friends zipping past me during sprints while I'm waddling at a steady pace, having to stop and rest all-too-frequently.

I get it when I look at myself in the mirror (a thing I rarely do while pregnant) and wonder where my body went and whose body I have instead.

I get it when I get together with friends and see how awesome they look in their skinny jeans while I'm struggling to get comfortable in my loose-fitting maternity slacks.

I get it when I fear going to the doctor's and seeing the number on the scale -- and thinking about that number as I grab a bowl of cereal an hour after eating dinner.

I get it, I get it, I get.
I know it's hard.
But you know what?

I think about how I have the rest of my life to have my body to myself again.  I think about how this time to bear children and nurse them is so fleeting and brief.  I remember I already had 26 years of my body being my own -- of dieting, of pushing my limits while running, of fitting into cute clothes.

And on the days I feel extra duck-ish as I waddle back and forth at the gym and as I modify my burpees, I fight the head trash and remember that I am growing a little person inside me, and that I will have the rest of my life to lose weight and look the way I want.

  • What are you wrestling with and how are you fighting the head trash?
  • How do you stay positive about your body while being pregnant?  How do you encourage others? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...