Sunday, February 3, 2013

let's talk about this pregnancy, shall we?

 
Right now:  I am a couple days shy of 36 weeks.

Realization:  This is getting real.

What's been difficult about this pregnancy:  Extreme lower back pain, extreme exhaustion (I've had to take an afternoon nap basically from day one until now -- probably a result of watching a toddler on top of being pregnant), and intense emotions.  The emotions thing is the worst -- at least with the back pain and exhaustion, I know just to lie down and rest.  With being emotional, I just can't think straight and end up sobbing or moping.  No fun.

What's been great about this pregnancy:  Not worrying so much about the weight, and really feeling released from my body image issues.  Sure, I feel big and all, but I'm able to let it go instead of obsessing over it.  Also, I've just been more relaxed in general about this pregnancy -- a lot more trusting in the Lord and His plans and timing, instead of frantically trying to control everything.

My guilty pleasure:  Sweets.  I'm usually a really healthy person, but this pregnancy, I've definitely been wanting (and having) gluten-free goodies, ice cream, and gummi-bears.  It's SO weird that I want these things, but it's been nice to enjoy them (in moderation). 

My healthy-food craving:  I was much healthier with Gwen (the girl always wanted cabbage for some reason), but this baby is not-so-healthy.  That being said, I cannot get enough grapefruit and pineapple.

Exercising: It was happening consistently up until about week 30, when I really messed up my back somehow.  So that's when I had to stop going to bootcamp (whimper).  I had envisioned I would be there until the day I gave birth, but the last time I tried, I had to leave immediately.  My back just won't have it, and I would end up modifying SO much of the workout that it wasn't very helpful any more.  I've still been going to the gym at least three days a week, with an extra day of working out at home (prenatal pilates or a long walk).  Also: my gym just started spinning classes.  The last time I had a spinning class was when I was 34 weeks along with Gwen, so I went this past week and it was AWESOME.  I'm happy to be there, and back with some bootcamp people who are taking the class (and the teacher!  She's my inspiration and a friend and totally gets me geared up in the mornings).  Exercising helps keep my emotions in check too -- I feel almost 100% better on the days I exercise.

Right after The Color Run in Philly at 6 weeks pregnant.
(I can't believe I've been pregnant for so long!)

Preparations:  I have most of the stuff in the house, but really haven't gone through everything to make sure it's all in place.  I'm also not sure if I'm prepared to have a newborn in cold weather.  Gwenny was born in the summer so it was much easier to dress her.  My happiest preparation: I put together a little mobile for Gwen and her sister to go above the changing table.  It's already helped Gwen calm down during diaper changes.

My friend Jocelyn made the animals/mushrooms as a Christmas present.  They are meant to be ornaments, but I took one look at them and said, "Oh no.  THESE are going to be out ALL year round!"  The branch was from our yard, and Gwendolyn helped me find it.

Procrastinating on:  Packing my hospital bag.  I don't know why it feels like SUCH a big task to me, but I have a rock in my stomach every time I think about it.  Also - I am totally not on top of my birth plan this time.  I keep thinking I'm going to forget something so I'm afraid of "completing" it.

Terrified about: Having two kids.  Last time, I was a little terrified of being a mother in general.  This time, I'm just like -- whoa, wait: TWO KIDS?  How do people DO it?  I am afraid that Gwendolyn will not get naps any more because she's a super light sleeper when she naps.  This means that I will not get any naps either.  Two kids.  Whoa.

Excited about: Meeting this new baby.  She has SUCH a personality -- so much poking and twisting and moving.  I thought Gwen was a mover, but this one is non-stop.  I told Elliott every time I eat something, it's like popcorn going off in my tummy -- except the popcorn is bony limbs and little hands and feet.  I'm also excited for Gwendolyn to have a sister.  In case you didn't know, she is SUPER into babies.  All she does is play pretend with baby dolls, and all she wants is a baby of her own.


Pensive about: The transition from three to four.  We have a very comfortable groove together.  It will be interesting to throw another little one into the mix.  I can't even wrap my brain around it.

Thankful for: An uneventful pregnancy, and the midwives who are SO chill about everything.  By this time in the pregnancy with Gwen, I was already scheduled for an induction.  I think I'm even measuring small again this time, but it's not drastic and it's just how I carry my babies, so the midwives are soooooo chill about everything.  I am also thankful for my doula who is helping me feel prepared.  AND for a husband who understands what I need even more than I do (ie. lots of rest).


One more thing: 

 I just wanted to give a shout-out to some of my favorite bloggers who are also pregnant!

Megan at Sorta Crunchy (twin boys!)
Sarah at Mommy Notes

Congratulations to everyone!  It's been awesome going on this journey with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...