Wednesday, February 13, 2013

WIWW/WNW: the pixie cut plunge

...because seriously, what mama has time to do her hair in the morning?...

If you've been reading for a while, you might remember a number of months ago I was debating whether or not to chop all my hair off, and then I decided against it.

This is the last picture I have of my longer hair.
Obviously, I had just made a turkey, it being Thanksgiving and all.

Well, as the pregnancy wore on, my hair got thicker and thicker.  I have weird hair.  It looks like it's easy-to-manage -- and yes, ultimately, I can make it do whatever I want, but it takes effort.  And lots of blow-drying or flat-ironing or curl-ironing or what-have-you.  As it got thicker and thicker, I was just spending wasting way too much time on it.

And here's another thing you should know about my personality: I simply detest wasting time.  I am all about efficiency.  Day after day, I was realizing that my hair was anything but efficient.  It was driving me crazy.

So what did I decide to do?  Yup.  I cut (most of) it all off the first week of December.  It wasn't too dramatic, but it was the shortest I had ever had it.



What I loved the most about the cut was that I could literally wash-and-go.  I didn't have to even brush it unless I felt like it.  It was amazing.  It felt like freedom.

My only issue?  My hair grew so fast, and I spent the last two months wishing I had just chopped it all off -- Anny-Hathaway style, ya know?

So last week I went to my hair stylist (whom I trust with EVERYTHING -- I mean, seriously, she could try any cut on me and it would look good) and said, "Chop it off!"  She wanted to make sure I was absolutely sure (apparently she had dealt with impulsive pregnant ladies before who had asked for pixie-cuts only to call her up the next day screaming at her).  I promised her I was ready.

In reality, there was a pit in my stomach as she cut it shorter and shorter.  It was such a dramatic difference to me, and it takes a little getting used to, but ultimately: I love it.


It takes literally no time to do.  
I have found my official efficient mommy-friendly haircut.

And the bonus?
I don't need conditioner.
I only need a smidgen of shampoo.
Showers are shorter.
No electricity is used on drying or styling.
So the verdict: a pixie cut is environmentally friendly!  Hurray!


  • Have you ever made a dramatic change in your life in order to save time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...