Friday, April 5, 2013

7 Quick Takes: a venture gone awry, angelina ballerina, & dizziness

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 210)

- 1 -
my first venture out

It's sort of been a slow recovery for me emotionally, so on Tuesday when I started watching the girls by myself for the first full day, I was very excited.  We all went to the post office so I could get stamps to send out a ton of thank-you cards to those who have helped over the last month, and then the plan was to do a bit of grocery shopping.  Here's the report:

The Post Office:  Gwendolyn listened oh-so-carefully to me -- holding my hand in the parking lot and standing in line beside me and her baby sister.  She was a-MAZ-ing, folks.  Seriously -- a 21 month old, just standing in (a long) line at the post office for 10 minutes?  I was SO proud.

The Grocery Store:  After the post office, I was debating whether or not to even try the grocery store.  "We had such a good trip," I thought to myself.  "Why jinx it?"  Sure enough, as soon as we got in, Amelie woke up and wanted to eat like WHOA.  Granted, she was in a wrap around me so that probably didn't help.  So the trip turned into a "GET-WHOLE-MILK-AND-GET-OUT-QUICKLY" trip.  So in that sense, it was a success.  And honestly, I was glad I tried it because it's the most I've done in about four weeks and it raised my confidence.

- 2 - 
stomach bugs

But then.  Then, the next day I regretted going out.  You see, stomach bugs have run RAMPANT in these parts, and I am P-A-R-A-N-O-I-D of our family getting sick again.  So since Ame's been home, we've sort of just all stayed home as much as possible.  Of COURSE the ONE trip I make out of the house, I get a stomach bug the next day!

Oh. My. Goodness.  I am a healthy person.  I usually only get "stomach things" once every five years or so (except when I worked at Starbucks and went to grad school simultaneously -- crazy hours plus exposure to germs all day caused me to get sick once a month.  I even got the swine flu!).  So imagine my surprise that I got a stomach bug not once, not twice, but three times these year.  The first two happened while pregnant (bookending the pregnancy), and this one... well, my baby just turned 4 weeks old.

Thankfully, my mom came down again to take care of us.  I swear, she might as well move in for the amount of time she's spent/will spend here in the last month or so.  But I told her I WILL be capable of taking care of my family, once I can actually function as a human being again.  

Sheesh.

- 3 -
angelina ballerina

This "Quick Take" is rather quick.

If I never see another episode of Angelina Ballerina, it will be too soon.


My own little ballerina loves this show, and when I was sick, I was sure thankful for it.  
But seriously.  I don't want to watch this show ever again.  
(That being said, I'm sure I will.  I just don't want to.)

- 4 -
arrested development

I love Netflix Originals.
But you know what I love the MOST about Netflix Originals??


Boo-yah!!!  May 26, baby!
(And this is one of the many reasons we have Netflix.)

- 5 -
adjusting to two 

During the few short spurts when I actually felt semi-normal again and took care of my daughters by myself, I've realized a few things to "making it work" with having two kids close together.  I think I might turn this into a larger post, but here's the basic gist:

1) You have to get used to crying.  Someone is going to cry.
2) Trying to schedule feedings around naps for the older one is KEY to getting rest.
3) Resting is KEY to getting rest.  (Duh.  But not really "duh" for this overachiever.)
4) You have to live with the mess.

Our once-uncluttered house is now a house of clutter.  I don't think it will always be this way, since I'm sure once I'm back on the road to normalcy I'll start picking up everything again (or it will drive me INSANE!).  But on the other hand, maybe we're just going to be a house of clutter until the girls are old enough to help out.  Or old enough to move out.  And I just have to live with it.

- 6 -
shifting schedules

One unexpected glorious thing to bringing this baby home has been Gwendolyn's shift in her sleeping schedule.  This is a girl who has -- since she was a wee babe -- woken up around 5-6 am every morning.  I'm pretty sure she just got used to my rhythms since I get up at 5 am to work out most days (well, not right NOW, but usually).  So imagine our surprise that the day we brought Amelie home, Gwen decided to start sleeping in until 7 am.  And this morning?  EIGHT AM!  This is such a wonderful change for all of us, especially because she used to wake up at ANY stir around 5 am.  Now, I can answer a baby's cry, feed her, change her diaper -- and Gwen sleeps right through.

The biggest reason behind the change was probably daylight savings, but this never altered her schedule before... so maybe it was her "Welcome Home" gift to us.  
Thanks, Gwennybear!

- 7 -
liebster?

My friend Sarah recently tagged me for a "Liebster," which means I have to answer a bunch of questions, ask a bunch of questions, and tag 9 bloggers who have under 200 followers (I really have NO idea how many followers I have).  Now, I am planning on devoting a post to this thing, but it brought up two things:

1) What is a Liebster?  Who is Liebster?  After searching on Google, I've found that it's a popular blogger award, and the origins are a little fuzzy -- however "liebster" means "favorite" or "dearest" in German.  Apparently.  Unless this information is wrong and you can correct me. :)
2) If you have under 200 followers and want to be tagged, let me know in the comments and the first people to comment will be tagged.  The sad truth is I don't know many bloggers with under 200 followers well enough to tag them.  So let me know!

---

...can I just mention that this post took me over eight hours to write up?  Because that's how wiped-out and dizzy I am...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...