Monday, May 6, 2013

spiritual lessons from an obstinate toddler


My daughter is about a month-and-a-half shy of turning two.
And, not to brag, but she really is quite wonderful.  As far as toddlers go, she's just a great kid.  I love her.  I adore her antics.  I think she's -- hands down -- one of the coolest people I've ever met.

However.

She is a toddler, approaching those "Terrible Two's" we always hear about in parent-talk.
And as a toddler, her favorite word tends to be, "NO."

Friends, I am getting a wee-bit-weary of hearing the word, "NO."

Sometimes, she is exercising her independence.
Sometimes, she has a specific reason for saying it.
But sometimes, she has no idea why she's saying it.

Take lunch, for instance.
She's hungry.
I provide her favorite food.

"NO."
It doesn't make any sense.
"But you're hungry."
"No."
"It's for your own good."
"No."
"I made your favorite."
"Noooooooooo!"

After a few more scenarios of this familiar battle, she's finally asleep for a nap.  As I ready myself for a few moments of stillness before my other daughter wakes up to nurse, I sit down to complain to God about my oh-so-obstinate toddler.

That's when I realize I'm God's oh-so-obstinate daughter.

God might be asking me to do something that would feed me spiritually.
For no good reason, I respond:

"NO."
It doesn't make any sense.
"But you're hungry."
"No."
"It's for your own good."
"No."
"It would bring you so much joy."
"Noooooooooo!"

But unlike me and my daughter, God doesn't send me to my crib without reading a book before a nap.  He doesn't give me a time out.  He doesn't count to three.

So how does He get my attention?
Simple.
He sends me an oh-so-obstinate toddler who likes to say no.


  • How God get your attention in unlikely ways?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...