Tuesday, July 9, 2013

"Whodunnit?" Don't Be Such A Child!

Today's guest post comes from Tim Fall. I met Tim through the Christianity Today blog her.meneutics. Tim always had an insightful comment to share (still does!) -- whether on my blog or other blogs. Pretty soon, he decided to start his own. Tim has a natural ability to tie in current events (or life events) into a narrative that connects to Biblical application.  Please give a warm welcome and leave some comments!

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me."
1 Corinthians 13:11
Kids Ask Some Great Questions
I first became a judge in 1995, and my kids were really young. They liked coming to the courthouse and seeing where Dad worked. One time my son asked about the people in jail. He wanted to know how they could stay in jail over the weekend when there was no bathroom in there.
He was thinking about the little holding cell next to my courtroom. All it has is a bench. There's no bed, no toilet, nothing but the small bench. Of course, people in there have been brought over from the real jail and sit on that bench only long enough for us to be ready to call them into the courtroom for their hearing.
My son had never been to the real jail. As far as he knew, that was where people in jail stayed. He quickly understood my explanation though, and stopped worrying about people in jail who had to go to the bathroom.
Adults Who Still Can't Figure Things Out
There's a new reality show on TV called "Whodunnit?" The premise seems interesting: contestants are in a house and one of them is soon the victim of a murder, and then a second person falls prey to the resident villain. The rest compete to figure out who did it. It's like being in an Agatha Christie mystery novel or playing the board game Clue, but getting a $250,000 prize at the end if you are the first one to get it right.
Sounds like good fun, doesn't it?
Not to some of the viewers, who (according to this article) feared that reality TV had gone too far this time:
Viewers knew the show was a murder mystery, but it's now clear what many of them didn't know was that the murders weren't real.
Of course, the people who posted their concerns on Twitter might have just been pulling our legs, but the many tweets listed in the article, like this one, seem awfully sincere:
"Soooo, I'm watching Whodunnit? On ABC. Can you kill people on reality tv? Are they really dead?"
As the article's author explained:
That's right, despite the fact that killing off contestants would be illegal (and, of course, just plain wrong), some believed that two players might have actually been killed as part of the show.
Growing Up
This brings me back to Paul's quote at the top of this post:
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. (1 Corinthians 13:11.)
Paul says this in the midst of talking about how people can focus on the wrong things in their relationships with God. Paul said what we should really be concentrating on is love.
It's not a matter of thinking great thoughts, or doing great things, or any other measure that the world would say is a measure of success, or even being able to understand a reality show on TV. The important thing in life is love.
So what is love? Or perhaps I should ask Who is love?
God.
John makes that clear as can be in 1 John 4:8: "God is love." It's such an important truth he repeats it in verse 16: "God is love."
And according to Paul, it's childish to think otherwise.
Tim is a California native who changed his major three times, colleges four times, and took six years to get a Bachelor’s degree in a subject he’s never been called on to use professionally. Married for over 25 years with two kids (one in college and one graduated, woo-hoo!), his family is constant evidence of God’s abundant blessings in his life. He and his wife live in Northern California. Tim blogs here.
follow even one sparrow with bloglovin, with your reader-of-choice, or subscribe by e-mail

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment -- and remember to be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...